City in Maryland, United StatesFrederick, MarylandCity of FrederickBridge on Carroll CreekMotto( s): "The City of Clustered Spires" Location within the State of MarylandShow map of MarylandFrederick (the United States) Show map of the United StatesCoordinates: Collaborates: United States Founded1745Government MayorMichael O'Connor (D-MD) Board of AldermenKelly Russell (D-MD) Ben MacShane (D-MD) Derek Shackleford (D-MD) Donna Kuzemchak (D-MD) Roger Wilson (D-MD) Location City24.
28 km2) Land23. 95 sq mi (62. 02 km2) Water0. 10 sq mi (0. 26 km2) Elevation302 ft (92 m) Population City65,239 Quote 72,244 Density3,016. 95/sq mi (1,164. 84/km2) Urban141,576 (US: 230th)UTC5 (EST) Summer Season (DST)UTC4 (EDT) 21701-21709301, 24024-30325GNIS feature ID0584497I-70, I-270, US 15, United States 40, United States 340, MD 80, MD 144, MD 355Website Frederick is a city in, and the county seat, of Frederick County, Maryland.
Frederick has long been an essential crossroads, located at the intersection of a significant northsouth Indian trail and eastwest routes to the Chesapeake Bay, both at Baltimore and what became Washington, D.C. and throughout the Appalachian mountains to the Ohio River watershed. It belongs of the Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, DC-VA-MD-WV Metropolitan Statistical Location, which is part of a higher Washington-Baltimore-Arlington, DC-MD-VA-WV-PA Combined Statistical Area.
Frederick is home to Frederick Municipal Airport (IATA: FDK), which accommodates general air travel, and to the county's biggest company U.S. Army's Fort Detrick bioscience/communications research setup. Located where Catoctin Mountain (the easternmost ridge of the Blue Ridge mountains) meets the rolling hills of the Piedmont region, the Frederick area ended up being a crossroads even prior to European explorers and traders got here.
This ended up being called the Monocacy Path or even the Great Indian Warpath, with some tourists continuing southward through the "Fantastic Appalachian Valley" (Shenandoah Valley, and so on) to the western Piedmont in North Carolina, or traveling down other watersheds in Virginia toward the Chesapeake Bay, such as those of the Rappahannock, James and York Rivers.
Established before 1730, when the Indian path became a wagon roadway, Monocacy was abandoned prior to the American Revolutionary War, maybe due to the river's periodic flooding or hostilities preceding the French and Indian War, or merely Frederick's better place with simpler access to the Potomac River near its confluence with the Monocacy.
3 years previously, All Saints Church had been founded on a hilltop near a warehouse/trading post. Sources disagree regarding which Frederick the town was called for, however the likeliest candidates are Frederick Calvert, sixth Baron Baltimore (among the owners of Maryland), Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, and Frederick "The Great" of Prussia.
Frederick Town (now Frederick) was made the county seat of Frederick County. The county initially encompassed the Appalachian mountains (locations more west being disputed in between the colonies of Virginia and Pennsylvania until 1789). The current town's first home was developed by a young German Reformed schoolmaster from the Rhineland Palatinate called Johann Thomas Schley (died 1790), who led a celebration of immigrants (including his wife, Maria Von Winz) to the Maryland nest.
Schley's inhabitants likewise founded a German Reformed Church (today called Evangelical Reformed Church, and part of the UCC). Probably the oldest house still standing in Frederick today is Schifferstadt, integrated in 1756 by German inhabitant Joseph Brunner and now the Schifferstadt Architectural Museum. Schley's group was among the numerous Pennsylvania Dutch (ethnic Germans) (as well as Scots-Irish and French and later Irish) who migrated south and westward in the late-18th century.
Another important route continued along the Potomac River from near Frederick, to Hagerstown, where it split. One branch crossed the Potomac River near Martinsburg, West Virginia and continued down into the Shenandoah valley. The other ongoing west to Cumberland, Maryland and eventually crossed the Appalachian Mountains into the watershed of the Ohio River.
Nevertheless, the British after the Pronouncement of 1763 limited that westward migration path till after the American Revolutionary War. Other westward migrants continued south from Frederick to Roanoke along the Great Wagon Roadway, crossing the Appalachians into Kentucky and Tennessee at the Cumberland Space near the Virginia/North Carolina border. Other German settlers in Frederick were Evangelical Lutherans, led by Rev.
They moved their objective church from Monocacy to what ended up being a large complex a few blocks further down Church Street from the Anglicans and the German Reformed Church. Methodist missionary Robert Strawbridge accepted an invitation to preach at Frederick town in 1770, and Francis Asbury arrived two years later, both assisting to discovered a churchgoers which ended up being Calvary Methodist Church, worshiping in a log structure from 1792 (although superseded by bigger structures in 1841, 1865, 1910 and 1930).
Jean DuBois was appointed in 1792, which became St. John the Evangelist Church (integrated in 1800). To manage this crossroads throughout the American Transformation, the British garrisoned a German Hessian routine in the town; the war (the stone, L-shaped "Hessian Barracks" still stand). All Saints Church, erected 1813, Principal Parish Church till 1855As the county seat for Western Maryland, Frederick not just was an essential market town, however also the seat of justice.
Crucial lawyers who practiced in Frederick included John Hanson, Francis Scott Secret and Roger B. Taney. Church Street with All Saints and Reformed Church spires, FrederickFrederick was likewise understood during the 19th century for its spiritual pluralism, with one of its primary thoroughfares, Church Street, hosting about a half dozen significant churches.
That original colonial building was changed in 1814 by a brick classical revival structure. It still stands today, although the principal praise area has actually ended up being an even bigger brick gothic church joining it at the back and facing Frederick's Town hall (so the parish stays the earliest Episcopal Church in western Maryland).
John the Evangelist, was integrated in 1800, then rebuilt in 1837 (across the street) one block north of Church Street on East Second Street, where it still stands along with a school and convent developed by the Visitation Sis. The stone Evangelical Lutheran Church of 1752 was likewise rebuilt and bigger in 1825, then replaced by the current twin-spired structure in 1852.
It ended up being an African-American parish in 1864, relabelled Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church in 1870, and constructed its existing building on All Saints Street in 1921. Together, these churches dominated the town, set versus the background of the first ridge of the Appalachians, Catoctin Mountain. The abolitionist poet John Greenleaf Whittier later on immortalized this view of Frederick in his poem to Barbara Fritchie: "The clustered spires of Frederick stand/ Green-walled by the hills of Maryland." When U.S.
Louis (ultimately built to Vandalia, then the state capital of Illinois), the "National Pike" went through Frederick along Patrick Street. (This later ended up being U.S. Route 40.) Frederick's Jacob Engelbrecht referred Jefferson in 1824 (getting a transcribed psalm in return), and kept a journal from 1819-1878 which remains a crucial first-hand account of 19th century life from its viewpoint on the National Road.
Church Street by a regional medical professional to avoid the city from extending Record Street south through his land to fulfill West Patrick Street. Frederick likewise ended up being one of the new country's leading mining counties in the early 19th century. It exported gold, copper, limestone, marble, iron and other minerals. As early as the American Revolution, Catoctin Heating system near Thurmont became important for iron production.
Frederick had easy access to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which began operations in 1831 and continued hauling freight till 1924. Also in 1831, the Baltimore and Ohio Railway (B&O) completed its Frederick Branch line from the Frederick (or Monocacy) Junction off the main Western Line from Baltimore to Harpers Ferryboat, Cumberland, and the Ohio River.
Louis by the 1850s. Confederate troops marching south on North Market Street during the Civil War Frederick ended up being Maryland's capital city briefly in 1861, as the legislature moved from Annapolis to vote on the secession question. President Lincoln detained a number of members, and the assembly was not able to assemble a quorum to vote on secession.
Slaves also gotten away from or through Frederick (because Maryland was still a "slave state" although an unseceded border state) to join the Union forces, work against the Confederacy and look for flexibility. Throughout the Maryland campaigns, both Union and Confederate soldiers marched through the city. Frederick likewise hosted several health centers to nurse the wounded from those battles, as is associated in the National Museum of Civil War Medication on East Patrick Street.
Union Major General Jesse L. Reno's IX Corps followed Jackson's men through the city a few days later on the method to the Battle of South Mountain, where Reno passed away. The websites of the fights are due west of the city along the National Road, west of Burkittsville. Confederate troops under Jackson and Walker unsuccessfully attempted to stop the Federal army's westward advance into the Cumberland Valley and towards Sharpsburg.
The 1889 memorial celebrating Major General Reno and the Union soldiers of his IX Corps is on Reno Monument Roadway west of Middletown, simply below the top of Fox's Gap, as is a 1993 memorial to slain Confederate Brig. Gen. Samuel Garland Jr., and the North Carolina soldiers who held the line.
George McClellan after the Fight of South Mountain and the Battle of Antietam, delivered a brief speech at what was then the B. & O. Railroad depot at the current crossway of East All Saints and South Market Streets. A plaque commemorates the speech (at what is today the Frederick Community Action Company, a Social Solutions workplace).
The Army of the Potomac camped around the Possibility Hall property for the numerous days as skirmishers pursued Lee's Confederate Army of Northern Virginia prior to Gettysburg. A large granite rectangle-shaped monolith made from one of the stones at the "Devil's Den" in Gettysburg to the east along the driveway honors the midnight change-of-command.
27 million in 2019 dollars) from citizens for not razing the city on their way to Washington D.C. Union soldiers under Major General Lew Wallace combated an effective delaying action, in what ended up being the last substantial Confederate advance at the Battle of Monocacy, also referred to as the "Battle that saved Washington." The Monocacy National Battleground lies simply southeast of the city limitations, along the Monocacy River at the B.
Railroad junction where two bridges cross the stream - an iron-truss bridge for the railway and a covered wood bridge for the Frederick-Urbana-Georgetown Pike, which was the website of the main fight of July 1864. Some skirmishing happened more northeast of town at the stone-arched "Container Bridge" where the National Road crossed the Monocacy; and a weapons barrage happened along the National Roadway west of town near Red Man's Hill and Possibility Hall mansion as the Union troops retreated eastward.
While Gettysburg National Battlefield of 1863 lies around 35 miles (56 km) to the north-northeast. The rebuilded home of Barbara Fritchie stands on West Patrick Street, simply past Carroll Creek linear park. Fritchie, a substantial figure in Maryland history in her own right, is buried in Frederick's Mount Olivet Cemetery.
Roosevelt when they stopped here in 1941 on an automobile journey to the governmental retreat, then called "Shangra-La" (now "Camp David") within the Catoctin Mountains near Thurmont. Admiral Winfield Scott Schley (18391911) was born at "Richfields", the mansion house of his daddy. He became an essential naval commander of the American fleet on board his flagship and heavy cruiser USS Baltimore in addition to Admiral William T.
Major Henry Schley's kid, Dr. Fairfax Schley, was crucial in establishing the Frederick County Agricultural Society and the Great Frederick Fair. Gilmer Schley served as Mayor from 1919 to 1922, and the Schleys remained one of the town's leading families into the late-20th century. Nathaniel Wilson Schley, a prominent banker, and his partner Mary Margaret Schley assisted arrange and raise funds for the yearly Terrific Frederick Fair, one of the two biggest farming fairs in the State.